top of page

Teacher Assessed Grades 2021

Due to Covid-19, the 2021 main GCSE exams have been cancelled and teacher assessed grades have been put in place for students to get their final GCSE grade awarded. These grades are vital for employment, A levels and Universities since they require a GCSE in maths and English. Teacher assessed grades will be given to those in schools or colleges, however not everyone is happy about this arrangement. Adult learners, external candidates, people who are homeschooled and those who aren’t in mainstream education, there is uncertainty on how they will get teacher assessed grades. Below, it will guide you through teacher assessed grades and any other alternative options.

Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

The mock exams and ongoing work are being used to help teachers with the teacher assessed grades, therefore try your best.The teacher assessed grades can be supported with external controlled assessments which are just like mock exams. These can be submitted to your school/teacher to help you achieve a higher grade. MME is an establishment that offers controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams. The results will be submitted to the college or school and this will help with your final grade.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

You are still able to sit the GCSE exams in 2021, but this will be in November. This page GCSE maths retake page will provide you with more information. The iGCSE qualifications are still going ahead as normal so you can book in as an external candidate with MME. Call MME on 020 3633 5145 and choose the exam option.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

If you are homeschooled, an adult learner, or you are outside of full time education, MME is working with the GCSE examiners to provide a series of assessments so you are able to obtain GCSE grades this summer. The link provided will help you book for the GCSE maths controlled assessment.

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grades

There are several alternatives to GCSE exams. When you are applying to University or specific employment, you would have seen the phrase ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘. GCSE equivalent qualifications can be referred to as functional skills. Majority of Universities and employers accept the functional skills qualification. The four links below will take you to pages that provide further information about the level 2 functional skills qualifications:

Nurses and Trainee Teachers

Many course providers accept a GCSE equivalency test result. This qualification is an option for trainee teachers, nursing and other courses. This qualification isn’t universally accepted therefore it is worth checking with the course provider or the prospective employer to make sure they accept it before you book the exam. Prospective trainee teachers are the most popular people to take the equivalency tests since it is preferred by most training providers and SCITT’s.


The Harrogate Tutors blog has been set up to keep parents, students and tutors informed about changes and updates to our website and service. 

For information on our tutoring services in the Harrogate area

bottom of page